Hanwei Shinogi Zukuri Raptor KatanaBe the first one to write a review
LOW STOCK - MEMBERS EXCLUSIVE PRICE
5160 Spring Steel Katana with classic blade geometry (the vast majority of Katana are classified as Shinogi Zukuri). MSRP $450
The Raptor Katana Shinogi-Zukuri blade, which has evolved as the most common Japanese katana blade design, provides both speed and cutting power. Featuring a distinct yokote, such blades were originally produced after the Heian period, around 987 AD.
Raptor Series Katana Details
Designed under the auspices of cutting master James Williams the Raptor series has been created for the cutting practitioner who does not necessarily have access to mats but who wishes to practice and perfect his cutting technique. The blades are forged in 5160 high-carbon steel and specially heat treated to produce very high resilience and greater tolerance of misdirected cuts than a conventional differentially tempered blade. This steel structure also avoids the need for excessive thickness, allowing the blades to replicate the weight and handling characteristics of Japanese originals. The edge geometry is configured to facilitate the cutting of both soft and semi-hard materials without chipping, allowing the cutter a wide choice of targets.
Each katana in the series features a unique blade style, each with its origins in Japanese swordmaking history, providing the cutting practitioner with choices in both aesthetics and handling characteristics.
Raptor Series Construction Details:
- Blades - Forged from 5160 high-carbon steel, marquenched to an edge hardness of 57HRc.
- Tangs (Nakago) - Full length, double pegged.
- Ferrules (Habaki) - Brass
- Handles (Tsuka) - Wood core, genuine rayskin (Same), special non-stretch sueded wrap (Tsuka-ito) for firm grip and wear resistance. Raptor feathers hilt ornaments (Menuki).
- Guards (Tsuba) - Traditional blackened iron, Raptor motif.
- Fittings (Fuchi/Kashira) - Blackened steel, Raptor motif.
- Scabbards (Saya) - Wood, non-fingerprinting textured lacquer finish.