Hanwei Nanbokucho Zukuri Raptor KatanaBe the first one to write a review
IN STOCK & ON SPECIAL ALL NOVEMBER
5160 Spring Steel Katana with a long and powerful cutting blade from one of Japan's most violent periods in its turbulent history. MSRP $450
The Nanbochuko period in Japanese history (the later part of the 14th. century) encompassed sixty years of internal conflict in Japan, which spawned a demand for more and bigger sword blades than ever produced previously. Blades became longer and wider, sometimes to extremes (the Odachi had its genesis in this period). Named for this period, the Nanbokucho Katana is impressively sized. With a blade length of 30”, a long kissaki and a weight of just under 3 lbs. it is designed for heavy targets. It is, however, surprisingly agile and nimble enough to master double cuts.
Raptor Series Katana Details
Designed under the auspices of cutting master James Williams the Raptor series has been created for the cutting practitioner who does not necessarily have access to mats but who wishes to practice and perfect his cutting technique. The blades are forged in 5160 high-carbon steel and specially heat treated to produce very high resilience and greater tolerance of misdirected cuts than a conventional differentially tempered blade. This steel structure also avoids the need for excessive thickness, allowing the blades to replicate the weight and handling characteristics of Japanese originals. The edge geometry is configured to facilitate the cutting of both soft and semi-hard materials without chipping, allowing the cutter a wide choice of targets.
Each katana in the series features a unique blade style, each with its origins in Japanese swordmaking history, providing the cutting practitioner with choices in both aesthetics and handling characteristics.
Raptor Series Construction Details:
- Blades - Forged from 5160 high-carbon steel, marquenched to an edge hardness of 57HRc.
- Tangs (Nakago) - Full length, double pegged.
- Ferrules (Habaki) - Brass
- Handles (Tsuka) - Wood core, genuine rayskin (Same), special non-stretch sueded wrap (Tsuka-ito) for firm grip and wear resistance. Raptor feathers hilt ornaments (Menuki).
- Guards (Tsuba) - Traditional blackened iron, Raptor motif.
- Fittings (Fuchi/Kashira) - Blackened steel, Raptor motif.
- Scabbards (Saya) - Wood, non-fingerprinting textured lacquer finish.