This is a simple, but elegant and extremely functional line. The blades themselves are T10 tool steel – but unlike most other T10 tool steel blades, these are hand forged by certified Master Smiths at one of Longquan’s oldest and most respected forges well known for a very high level of quality control.. (as well as correspondingly much higher prices than most other forges – hey, if you want the best, you/we need to pay for it!!).. Luckily for you, at SBG we always lower our margins well below the industry standard and do our very best to provide exceptional customer service.
The focus on these Katana is practicality, handling and effortless cutting ability.
Everything is kept simple – just premium T10 tool steel hand forged and shaped to perfection with a flexible shock absorbent spine and hard cutting edge, I dare say that they are stronger and more versatile than any historical Katana ever was or ever could be (thanks to the purity and quality of modern steels like T10 tool steel). Even their folded blades have no weak spots or poor quality folds – though is so expensive we hesitated about offering it.. (though it is available as a optional extra – and the end result is supremely attractive with very active and lively hada).
Errors and QC issues are literally unheard of on this line – and this is quite a spectacular job considering the large number of custom components on offer – many made by and exclusive to this forge, others purchased from Longquans premium component supplier.
Another advantage of this particular line is speed of production – while they don’t rush and they QC check at every stage in the process, despite this almost all orders are typically fulfilled within 6-8 weeks after ordering. This is quite a feat, as a Nihonto made in Japan can take up to 18 months to complete and made even more remarkable as work only commences on YOUR blade when you place your order (as you can specify blade length, bo-hi, to truly make it your own). Delays of a couple of weeks or even an additional month or two may occur due to weather not allowing saya paint to dry, difficulty sourcing a low demand component or slowed down generally by more complex custom selections.
- Practical, yet beautiful blades truly designed for martial arts applications. Effortless cutting.
- Fast production (usually 4-6 weeks) and able to handle orders all year round while still maintaining literally amazing quality control.
- Largest number of custom component options to create a truly unique, personalized sword.
- As usual with any SBG exclusive product, they are priced well below the usual market sale price (true market value is closer to $1300-1500).
- No laminated blades available – just pure T10 cutting swords of the highest caliber. Folded steel blades are available, but are top tier quality, and come with a top tier price to match (but the quality is beyond anything else we have offered previously).
- As a rule the Saya do not have buffalo horn fittings on the saya. While not a full rayskin wrap, premium quality, wide panels are used that are so wide it comes very close to a full wrap in effect and appearance.
- Orders tend to be closer to the 8 week+ period than 6 weeks and slight additional delays are not uncommon, especially on the more detailed and complicated orders. But the forge refuses to willingly send out a defective or problematic sword just to beat the clock – and any extra wait is always for a good reason.
This sword is a users sword. While they can look fantastic with all the custom choices on offer – its primary functional is for frequent, effortless cutting. You can read my evaluation of two of these blades here
Here’s what some customers have had to say about it:
“It turned out EXACTLY as I had imagined.” – John B
“The first thing that grabbed my attention was the Gunome Hamon. It is a sight to behold. It is one of the best hamon I have seen. There is so much to look at it is mesmerizing.” – Rich
“Paul gave this katana 5 stars in his review. After a week of practicing with it, I wholeheartedly concur. It’s the gold standard by which all of my other experiences with swords is measured.” – Zencowboy